Carl Proctor Photography
Mobile: 07956 283340
Tel: 020 76810034
- Session fee: £225 (good student rates available)
- All in, no extra charges
- No time limit
- No limit to the number of shots
- Landscape as well as portrait crops
- Contact sheets emailed the same day
- 5 photos re-touched in colour and black and white and two crops
- All photos on a DVD in high resolution jpeg format
- Prints if required
ACTORS HEADSHOT ADVICE SHEET. Please have a look on my website or on The Actors Guild website, at the actors headshot advice sheet that I wrote recently with my casting director hat on. As a casting director and also an actors headshot photographer, I see far too many photos that are either just not good or that don’t represent the actor as well as they should.
BACKGROUND. Having trained as an actor at RADA, I worked successfully for a number of years. I have produced one feature film (MAD DOGS), several shorts and a number theatre productions, including the critically acclaimed West End production of GOOD GOLLY MISS MOLLY. I have directed several theatre and physical theatre productions. I run a production company with Imogen Stubbs and Serena Gordon – Little Fish Productions.
CASTING DIRECTOR. I am currently one of London's leading casting directors, working mainly in film and TV. Recent credits include the hugely successful 'Bible Series' and the 'Son of God' feature film.
For the last few years I have also been working as a photographer, taking mainly actors headshots, but also dancers, directors, artists and writers.
I KNOW WHAT WORKS. Having been a casting director for almost 20 years I have a very clear understanding of what works when it comes to actors head shots. I know that good photos can get you meetings and that bad photos or a lack of range can work against you.
INDUSTRY RECOGNITION. I am recommended to clients by numerous agents, including many of the top agencies and drama schools. A substantial amount of actors have already been back for their second or third sessions.
TESTIMONIALS. Please have a look at the testimonials on my website to see what my clients say.
I will ensure that you go away with plenty of good options for a main shot, but also a number of shots for the Spotlight portfolio that show your range and provide you with an appropriate photo for any submission. Once I have done Photoshop work on a handful of favorites, all photos from the session (usually over 400) will be burned to a DVD as high resolution images. If you like my photos, you can be assured that you will get some that are as good or better.
Bring a few different tops. I think darker colors tend to work best.
Try to arrive with an idea of what you want from the session. You should obviously aim to look like yourself on a good day, but hair, make-up and what you wear should just look fine but not pull focus.
- MAKE UP. It’s fine to enhance but ideally you should look like you are not wearing any for the majority of shots, so keep it minimal for most of the session. If it is apparent that you are wearing a lot of make-up, you are showing us that this is not necessarily what you look like in real life and this defeats the main function of the photo.
- HAIR. For most people, having your hair done before the session is not necessary. It can look too neat and you might want to do different things with your hair throughout the session anyway. So just not too neat or too scruffy. Women will have time to put hair up or straighten it, etc. Men can arrive unshaven and shave during the session if they wish to so you have both looks covered.
- CLOTHING. I think darker, solid colours tend to work best. Bring a few options, varied neck lines, but not all too wide or low so that we still see some of the top and allow it to frame your face, even in the tighter crops. Maybe a casual jacket and a smarter one if you like. Some shots in a shirt and jacket with and without a tie on might be useful to include if a corporate / business look is of use to you.
I can fix things on the computer if you have a spot or bags under your eyes, etc, so don’t consider cancelling if you have a blemish. Otherwise there is no need to think too much in advance. Just try to arrive feeling confident, relaxed and open.
In Central London WC1. I use natural light through the windows and we can also do outdoor shots if you wish. There is a bathroom to change in and adjust hair or shave, etc. Shooting in digital format means that I can take an unlimited number of shots. The session will be enjoyable and not rushed. We will spend as much time as we need to get lots of good photos that cover your range.
- DON'T THINK TOO MUCH. Thinking of something/someone that makes you happy or sad or angry etc. doesn't usually work. It means that you are internalizing and it is unlikely to register as an interesting look. It is more likely to just lead to a blank, un-engaged expression and by being distracted by that, you will not look focused or engaged. We will get a range of genuinely organic and natural looks without any of that.
- LOOKING AWAY SHOTS. With off camera / looking away shots it’s good to appear to be looking at someone rather than looking deep in thought. It is easy enough to do convincingly without having to think about who you are looking at or what they are saying to you.
- WE VIEW PHOTOS AS WE GO ALONG. Spotlight is full of deathly serious facial expressions, often because the photo is the best of a bad bunch, the warmest shot there was from the session. Viewing photos as we go along on a TV monitor allows you to see that an expression or the subtleness you were aiming for, might not be registering quite as you intended it to. What feels like a natural, relaxed expression often looks much more serious and what feels subtle often looks forced. Viewing also makes you feel more involved in the process and ensures that the contact sheets are made up of photos that you have already decided that you like.
- LIGHTING. A lot of casting directors and employers seem to favor natural light these days (indoor or outdoor) over studio lighting, as natural light tends to give a clearer impression of the individual, whilst still being flattering. Natural light can give photos a real and honest feel and more importantly, a sense that this is what you look like. Studio lighting is often apparent in a photo. We don’t expect to be aware of lighting when we watch you on TV or film so we don’t need to be aware of it in your headshots.
- NO TIME LIMIT. We will spend as much time as we need and only stop when we are happy that you have plenty of good main shot options, but also genuinely contrasting shots that show a useful range of looks, giving you an appropriate photo for any submission and ensuring that you are able to take full advantage of the opportunity that the Spotlight folio offers.
All photos will be cropped and there will be more than one crop of some photos. The contact sheets will be emailed the same day in a high resolution jpeg format, so that you will be able to zoom in on each photo and still see a clear image.
Photoshop work is done on five photos (often enough) of your choice and it’s just £10 for additional ones if required. There will be at least two different crops of each photo in both black & white and colour. These will be burned to a DVD along with the rest of the photos from the contact sheets (all as separate, cropped images) and all other shots taken at the session (usually over 400). All images are in a high resolution jpeg format so that you will be able to use any of them without having to pay any more money. I will email the final Photo-shopped shots for approval before posting the DVD and if required, do two or three prints.
- LANDSCAPE CROPS. I will also do a few landscape crops which have been popular in America for a while and are now becoming popular here.
- DVD. Photos will be burned to a DVD along with the rest of the photos from the contact sheets (all as separate, cropped images) and all other shots taken at the session (usually over 400). All images are in a high resolution jpeg format so that you will be able to use any of them without having to pay more money. I will email the final Photo-shopped shots for approval before posting the DVD and if required, do two or three prints.
If you like my photos, you can be assured that you will get some that are as good or better.
If you have any questions, or would like to book a session, please either email or call me on 07956 283340.
|Available to Promo Jobs Pro premium members|
|Tel||020 7681 0034|
|Users on Promo Jobs Pro with pictures taken by Carl Proctor Photography|
Promo Jobs Pro does its best to ensure all details in this directory are correct.
Should you encounter any errors or omissions please contact us on email@example.com.
It is forbidden to reproduce, transmit or copy the information in this directory.